Re: Terror in War - Long

From: donald_at_FZz-UnmSPWehywXQZxfcZRhDQ1gP7xW-UhATD-rWO_JEsmB7UsqYTj-d8r_dbvvBqv2d7
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:01:50 GMT

In message <fau3u2+7j24_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>Even so. My comment about _modern_ total war stands for everything
>after the bronze/iron age :) and in fact even before.

Then we agree. Limited forms of war are the exception in historical terms and probably in prehistorical ones.

>Atrocities
>have worse and more obvious consequenses on Glorantha than they ever
>did/do on Earth.

I'm not sure that the consequences are worse in Glorantha as a general principle. Certain actions are incompatible with certain gods and the consequence of taking those actions is a change in religious cult. That may have social consequences just as it may in the RW.

>It's of course up to each GM/Narrator to make these calls, but I for
>one aren't interested in Glorantha as a copy of Earth. Let's also
>remember that historical records are far from perfect, and we can't
>ultimately really know how much religion, morals and ethics reigned in
>man's destructive nature in the bronze/iron age of our own world. We
>have fragments from events like the Peloponnesian War or Roman
>conquests, but usually from very few sources.

There's a fair bit about genocide, forced enslavement of entire peoples and other unsavory practices in the Old Testament of the Christian bible. With confirmation from Assyrian, Egyptian and Babylonian records.

I don't think of Glorantha as a copy of earth but the existance of gods like Gargath, Thed, Cacademon, Humakt, Urox, Maran Gor and Mallia shows there are people who behave that way. Remember that Orlanth and Ernalda are the models to which most Heortlings aspire, not what they actually achieve.

> -Adept : who prefers having Glorantha as a place where rape and
> secret murder have severe karmic consequenses.

For Heortlings fine. Secret murder has no karmic consequences for Lunars involved in dart wars.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/