Re: Ideas for game - travelling through Heortland in the summer of 1600ST

From: donald_at_ur-4DBtmvtB7Ybr7bNPJbUAAly0G5QP8399bfiuMHy5ugCUnQrEPj1ENdpc51RU8_E4iS
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:11:17 GMT

In message <20070925070842.5682.qmail_at_yXieG6615ZvIgMMI4aCz5bCGyXwI2w7RzGZeb4ECkkFL7HgIz8oLiM8L8KwhehNXBC2hmxOOgSOvGgmdX4vCCpVDui95uoOdIAU_tz6kUOy4Zg.yahoo.invalid> Peter Metcalfe writes:
>At 08:33 a.m. 25/09/2007, you wrote:

>>The Heortling model is roughly based on the Celtic/Viking/Anglo-Saxon
>>model. That developed into the medieval European system by placing
>>greater importance on legitimate heirs - i.e. church approval of the
>>parents.
>
>I really don't see the development. Hereditary succession and elective
>leadership has been kicking back and forth across Europe down through
>the centuries. In particular the Holy Roman Empire and the Polish
>Crown were elective.

Sure the development took place at different times in different places. However prior to about 1000 AD most of Europe had a system of selecting the most suitable candidate from an elite group. By the renaissance most of Europe had a system based on inheritance. I'm unaware of any country which went from a hereditary monarch to an elective one in that period. In the Middle East that development probably took place in pre-history.

>Even if the Prince had to be a blood descendent of Sartar, the
>Sartarite practice would have been to chose the most competent
>candidate rather than the one with the best claim.

Not the most competant, the most politically acceptable. However there is a qualification based purely on inheritance. That's a change from my understanding of Heortling practice.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/