Re: Ideas for game - travelling through Heortland in the summer of 1600ST

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_GePK9oZc6pdF6gQmmBmQpy4-TW_UG7tx3xQYkLgPEpybVPPANjTCmU7_nqJtrz-YSz>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:00:35 -0000

> >Even if the Prince had to be a blood descendent of Sartar, the
> >Sartarite practice would have been to chose the most competent
> >candidate rather than the one with the best claim.
>
> Not the most competant, the most politically acceptable. However
> there is a qualification based purely on inheritance. That's a
> change from my understanding of Heortling practice.

Or maybe simply the one with the most support on the group that selects him. Didn't the pre-norman english have a small council which officially selected the next king--a council which was appointed by the king, so most often would carry out his wishes?

I'm not sure, do Heortling kingdoms have an official ring? If so, it would seem likely that they would officially choose the next king. But good parts of the ring would be appointed, presumably, by the previous king, so his choice of heir would have great weight (I'd think some seats on such a ring would not be appointed by the king, in Sartar they might represent the city confederations or something).

--Bryan