Re: Ideas for game - travelling through Heortland in the summer of 1600ST

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_BF8njp3g_Hrx3Xd2wJnxQtwfwO_OiRpsocEdUvktiomn8qJgK0IK3XhW5Oklja2jIn>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:55:08 -0000

> >I'm not sure, do Heortling kingdoms have an official ring? If so, it
> >would seem likely that they would officially choose the next king.
> >But good parts of the ring would be appointed, presumably, by the
> >previous king, so his choice of heir would have great weight (I'd
> >think some seats on such a ring would not be appointed by the king, in
> >Sartar they might represent the city confederations or something).
>
> There is something called the Ring of Sartar. Judging by the entries
> in KoS (pages 135, 145 and 154) it consists of Sartarite leaders who
> recognise the current Prince. If there are enough of them the ring is
> created otherwise it fails. It was originally created by Sartar
> himself and seems to have lasted until the death of Prince Salinarg.
> Attempts to reform it fail until after the Dragonrise which probably
> ties in with lighting the Flame of Sartar. This suggests to me there
> is a magical element to all rings. Probably a routine ritual to
> replace a few members but a major Heroquest to create or reform a ring
> if it's broken.

I finally had time to get to my reference books :-)

In Thunder Rebels, we get that Vingkot High King grants the "Create High King's Ring" feat (in the making affinity). (Dar likewise has feats for creating tribal and clan rings). Interestingly, Alakoring does not have ring making magic.

In Barbarian Adventures (pg 17) we get types of clan and tribal rings, but no description of city or royal rings. Clan rings come in various flavours as described, while two Tribal rings are described. The High Council is described as having is 13 people, "Generally, the tribal king presents his candidates, some of whom the clan chieftains approve, and then the chieftains present their own candidates to fill the remaining positions." With the Storm Tribe Ring there are 18 positions and "Unlike the High Council, each clan that belongs to the tribe is guaranteed a position, set when they joined. Additional positions are filled as described above for the High Council."

Now, presumably these would be Dar tribal king rings. There is no guarantee that the Vingkoti High King's Ring would resemble these. In particular there may be Vingkot myths I don't know which influence it.  But it would seem to be a fair guess that it might work like the Storm Tribe ring, with certain positions guaranteed, and the rest first nominated by the king, and any that are rejected nominated by the tribal kings. But that part is pure speculation on my part.

--Bryan