Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_Zu0c0fCeqXnwgiz1v4EOJVf3rdN1Ay51ttEWdITIXnPzDE6PJHpZBNi9J9tRxccY0pDUbwS>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:57:11 -0700

YGWV valkoharja wrote:
>  > He wasn't dead at that point. Or he was, which is why he was in the

> > Underworld.
> >
> > --Greg
>
> Hmm... it sort of sounds like there isn't a clear point when yinkin
> would have died, at least not so that he'd have noticed.

One of the key points concerning the Great Darkness is that most "clear points" disappeared. I've said many times, in print and on forums, that during the Darkness the worlds collapsed into each other, and that people could not tell the living from the dead. In other words, that the whole world was in the Underworld. EVERYTHING was dead---yes, even pitiful Elmal on his mountaintop and Heort and the ex-Vingkotlings.

> That's
> actually rather interesting. We have conflicting myths about Orlanth,
> Humakt, Eurmal and the Deathsword... who is dead at what stage, and so
> on.

The conflicting reports are due, in part, to the nonlineal nature of the events.

> That would give a nice mystery to the cult, and parhaps something a
> clever (or desperate) heroquester could use. It sounds like there is
> the possibility for some perilous underworld quests, and parhaps even
> a psychopomp function (untapped) to be found there.

I wouldn't give Yinkin a psychopomp function.

--Greg