Re: EWF Trade

From: jorganos <joe_at_yiAAhgbZT6AQjjni41z0hO1Lpioqo8uCcgMBcuJZying3_-52Y3dR4w6yhm09mV-19Lup5I5>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:20:37 -0000

Donald:
>> Cloth is also different depending on the source material and
>> that source is usually only available in some areas. I think
>> Peloria produces cotton rather than wool so wool will be an
>> imported item while Dragon Pass will import cotton.

Peloria does produce wool - from goats. And may have horsehair felt from the Redlands, too. In addition, there ought to be a custom of down clothing for the not so clement winters, based on Rinliddi.

Adept:
> I would go with flax, instead of cotton in Genertela. Parhaps cotton > in Pamaltela.

I think that Dara Happan cotton is a nod to Mississippi and fertile crescent climate and vegetation, and intentional - right alongside the papyrus along the Oslir.

The Heortlings produce flax and linen themselves - I think it was mentioned in Thunder Rebels. It is also present in Seshnela and grown in the Lunar Grantlands of Prax.

Part of the background for cloth trading is skill, though - lace, damask or cambric can be made from the same basic material (perhaps somewhat better quality) as canvas. Indigenous curing methods can alter some of the properties of the fabric, too, and might cause some specialty demand.

Speaking of indigenous people of Dragon Pass in the EWF era: there may have been a number of non-Heortling peoples present, minorities occupying fringe territories. Black Eel river people, not-yet inhuman Aramites, and possibly others that disappeared along with the Heortlings in the Dragonkill. These may have had their very own economic niche which may have created export material. Who, for instance, were the humans that formed the Cannon Cult?