Re: Runic associations: Humakt, Vinga, Nandan and fertility

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_vaWFlT9XYTmHa6xtH1YEr2ornWjqhAf43kqC_Qd7qt3adT9lw6QGj_ZnSvHoZXNviPS>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:02:20 -0000

Donald, replying to 'Adept':

> >I suspect this is a matter of YGWV. [snip]

> As I pointed out in the part you snipped this has little to do
> with sexuality. Marriage among the Orlanthi is about relationships
> between clans and bringing up children. These are social issues,
> not physical or sexual ones - i.e. gender rather than sex. Vingans
> are socially men while Nandani are socially women.

But this, too, is fertile ground for YGWV. The social role does not necessarily have to extend to marriage, and may not do so in everyone's Glorantha. In my campaign, I'd say that Vingans rarely marry, but when they do, they marry men. (Barring, perhaps, some unusual clans on the fringes - there are *always* unusual clans on the fringes somewhere). I wouldn't say my view is any more correct than the alternatives, but I wouldn't say it's any less so, either.

And we know, from past experience, that this particular topic is a contentious one - so best to be clear, perhaps.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic