Re: Fwd: Re: Day length

From: donald_at_wAUfO41ilWy1UeCI5vvSM09eYkF3u-jqimUAGwjS-LXf8rxKgGLmVTApO2Mre1RwCNSGb
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:00:02 GMT

In message <27c976de0801031046v3c858c82g7ee89405a8bff48_at_2y2o9EUxD_6zHJ4FwupCIA_woje7Tk1BY2aI4q2Cy8ZgqganaxRJXDKPR-ZJlSpMSaMq8OWrCpGyoT7fDmafdnA1B0jxMZkkpMCiLZbGM3N2qD72raRACVUSx9Rt1_8ZFQ.yahoo.invalid> Grimmund writes:
>On Jan 3, 2008 12:01 PM, <samclau_at_nhzlHQIriZWan4nnF3YMLwbBaZcLpR-f-OdDazshxrigydWWgkRkGz7N3uNjhasVyEmQKYCAzg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Well, I am sat here in the tropics (Minas Gerais, Brazil, so within
>> the Tropic) and let me tell you it is definitely summer.
>> Six months ago it definitely was not.
>> :)
>> Sam.
>
>No doubt. :) but I suspect that's driven at least in part by elevation.

The spring, summer, autumn and winter seasonal calender is a RW temperate zone invention because those are the distinctive weather patterns in that zone. Tropical areas traditionally use ones based on their significant variations which can be rain or wind.

I'd go with Gloranthan seasons being reflected in their local calendars. So for Dragon Pass there are five - one very wet, one stormy, one cold and dark, one hot and one a comfortable mixture of warm and moist. Sacred time comes between storm and sea seasons but probably has some very strange weather reflecting mythical struggles rather than what preceeds and follows it.

How to reconcile the references to spring, summer and winter in the published material? I'd go for nearest fit translations. So "winter" actually refers to dark and/or storm season. "Spring" is sea and/or earth season while "summer" is fire season.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/