Re: The Disintegration of Orlanth

From: Boris Yarko <babeldemeter3_at_KnLGvp4W5GVfxpo8xmfCxK5dx8621XW5BsWwL_U8ahRzJF8-D4yioRW3L9DRxd>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:26:01 -0000

Thanks for the help, Greg, it gives me more insight of how Glorantha is built.
> > THE SEVEN PARTS OF ORLANTH : (these are pure speculations, My
> > Glorantha Is Varying)
> >
> Since YGIV on this, perhaps I need not reply here.
> However, I want to note that this is very lunar of you!
> The Lunar Soul has 7 parts, but the Orlanthi one has only 5.
> NOW, this fact applies to the humans--they have "5 souls," each of
> which  is associated with one of the elements.

Ok, so I'll try to find out the 5 parts of Orlanth's soul. :)

But, as I'm in fact some kind of hyena eager of each piece of knowledge that I can tear from all of you, can you tell me :

  1. Do the solars and the lunars share the same 5 elemental souls with the orlanthis plus one for the solar and two for the lunars ?
  2. Which are these supernumerary solar and lunar souls ?

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

The results of my new ramblings :

THE FIVE SOULS OF ORLANTH :

  1. HIS BREATH =
    _ Air soul
    _ His essence, as his breath is the source of his magic. Orlanth's
    breath fills the world with his power, spreading life, freedom and change.
    _ It represents also his life force.
    _ Associated virtue : Piety

--> By stealing his breath from Him, the lunar sorcerers have killed Orlanth.
--> His sacred breath was trapped by lunar magic, keeping all his worshippers from using his magic. Some of his devotees and disciples died suffocating, their breath taken from them.

2) HIS WORDS =
_ Fire Soul
_ His ability of abstraction, his mind.
_ The words of Orlanth are the source of orlanthi laws et customs,
the foundations of the heortian society. A good balance between the stricture and the hierarchy of yelmic society (overwhelming fire soul) and anarchy (a fire soul reduced to embers).
_ Associated virtue : Justice

--> His words still live inside the heortling people, insofar as they keep their ancient customs.

3) HIS SHOUT =
_ Water soul
_ His will, his heroïsm.
_ It also represents his blood, the heroïc lineage of Heort, Vingkot,
Sartar...
_ His seed ?
_ Associated virtue : Courage

--> Each time Orlanth is defeated, his shout incarnate in his saviour(s):
_ Heort who enables Orlanth to succeed his Lightbringer Quest in
performing "I Fought We Won" ;
_ Vargast Redhand killed the Evil Wind Loko Moko enabling Harmast
Barefoot to bring Orlanth back to life ;
_ Alakoring Dragonbreaker release Orlanth from the deadly magic of
the Inner Dragon.
Each of them was the incarnation of Orlanth's Holy Shout. [speculations based on OiD, p. 44]
--> Maybe Orlanth's blood can create a new river : the River of Sorrows ?

4) HIS BODY =
_ Earth soul
_ It represents Orlanth's love, kindness, generosity...
_ Also his link with Ernalda.
_ Associated virtue : Generosity

5) HIS SHADOW =
_ Darkness soul
_ Orlanth's cunning.
_ Also his sins, past, errors...
_ Associated virtue : Wisdom

All his 5 souls are governed, bound and sublimated by his main virtue: Orlanth's Honor.

Boris

Homo sum, et humani nihil a me alienum puto.