Re: Dara Happa's Silver Age

From: jorganos <joe_at_ZCMqQM6viAkOTmcHBU4ZYxRgP1HpdaqVp5ZpEsYJ98kq4Lpo64pm3T0DAWuNOB5Rh0uZgXAk>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:09:36 -0000

John Machin:

> I was wondering about what went on in Darra Happa during the Silver
> Age (i.e. when Heort did his thing amongst certain Orlanthi peoples,
> "before" I Fought, We Won).

The Silver Age was the result of I Fought We Won.

In Dara Happa, the term might have been Star Age. Shargash had destroyed everything, and finally himself. Then things came into being again.

The Perfect Sky gives quite a bit detail about the rediscovery (or reappearance) of stars.

The great hero of that period was Jenarong, the horse nomad who became emperor and adopted civilization. His successors were a mixed blessing. (Vuranostrum appears to be a different emperor - Hyaloring rather than descended from the Starlight Wanderers.)

Jenarong was not the cultural hero of his own folk, though. These people appear to have awakened from the Greater Darkness in the Arcos Valley, with the help of a star demigod/spirit/whatever, a precursor of Kargzant.

Nor was he the only horse nomad to go this path. In Pelanda, Lendarsh played a very similar role.

> References to IFWW mention that other masculine cultural heroes did
> similar things to Heort in their respective cultures.

That means: cultures which then joined up as the Unity Council.

There is a collective term "Silver Age Heroes", but since this includes minor figures like Vogarth Strongman, Panaxles the Architect and Sestarto the Artist, I don't think that this collective all fought in IFWW. (Did Heort represent all humans of the Dragon Pass area?)

> I was wondering
> if there was much written about, or if anyone had some good ideas
> regarding, Solar cultural heroes of this period.

Both Glorious ReAscent of Yelm and Fortunate Succession have some details on the Dara Happan Tripolis, but little to no meat on the other solar cultures nearby. The Manimati of Darjiin are better known for creating refuges where the Greater Darkness was "kept out" long enough that the refugees could re-emerge as living after the total destruction of everything. There is nothing about any great deeds afterwards. The Sankenites (who one would think to be prime candidates to provide strapping heroes to prepare for the sun) are hardly fleshed out in any way and get no mention in that period.

> I am particularly curious about whether there were a variety of them
> (Dara Happan civilisation seems fairly spread out so presumably
> there would have been more than just one - perhaps this explains the
> differences between the different metropoli?) and what the Dara
> Happan perspective on the phenomenon that the Heortlings describe as
> Elmal on Kero Fin.

Elmal on Kero Fin did not reach to Dara Happa. He was repelled by Vuranostum after the sacking of Elempur, in the Anaxial Age, and never shed light on the tripolis. Heortling myth says that he weakened, too.

There was no contact with and no awareness of the Heortlings in Dara Happa prior to the Lightbringer missionaries. The local barbarians (Silylings) were star worshippers (star bear) rather than Solar types, which probably was a more powerful choice in that age.

For the individual Tripoleis: Yuthuppa had the Star Seers. Alkoth had the advantage of being in the Underworld, populated by denizens of the Underworld, so that "survival" was not that pressing.

Raibanth may have been most ravaged - it is possible that Jenarong restarted culture there.

Most of the other Pelorians may have been Lodrili, and possibly clung to volcanic features for survival until the empire was re-established. Lodril appears to have lain mostly dormant, but still radiating heat in certain places.

There appear to have been other (non-Orlanthi) pastoralist cultures "surviving" the Greater Darkness in Peloria (e.g. the Reindeer Folk). If so, they appear to have been superseded, integrated or disappeared by the horse nomads, except for the goat folks of the Arcos Valley.