Re: What Mostali Look Like

From: jorganos <joe_at_oO48vnERq4rFEVDh8Cs_ia1oXK5XO1EIYKcQMU69RRMS3t0Vhea6dwJ20f2miuwkb4C1qMX2>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 20:46:21 -0000

Felix Felix:
>>Is it true that humans are associated only with the man rune? Most
>>things have two runes. I can't recall anything which associates any
>>runes with humans as a group.

John Hughes:
> Nice call. Gloranthan Humans, at least according to human myth, were
> made by many gods, and possibly not all at the same time.

There are countless myths of human origin. Most common are:

made by deities or great spirits from clay (Dara Happa, Agimori, Thinobutans)

descended from deities or spirits

- from plant spirits (Pelanda) (to some extent Doraddi, but vice versa)
- from beasts or beast spirits (Hsunchen, Fiwan, Beastmen, Praxians)
- lesser children of deities (Dara Happan nobility, Vingkotlings, Artmali)
- runic devolution (Malkioni, Vadeli, Brithini)

> So you
> could say that Humans have a little bit of all the major runes.

Very much depending on the deities they claim descent or fabrication from.

> Or perhaps stick with the classification that humans are bearers of
> both Man and Beast Rune.

A classical God Learner argument to explain the "lesser races" their ancestors encountered in Genertela's and Pamaltela's West.

The Celestial Court myth of Grandfather Mortal (owner of the Man Rune, according to the system reported by the God Learners) seems to make Grandfather a parthenogenous child of Life (and/or/= Glorantha). Nicely paralleled by the Vogmaradan myth in Entekosiad.

Mortality became associated with the man rune only after the introduction of Death (by the Sword Story or various other views at this myth). At least that is the classical RQ2-based explanation, why Mostali, Brithini and Vadeli don't age or die. (Entekosiad has other myths...)