Re: How best to learn about God Learners

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_vVFjMfaXGo6B4m12hwcamGfslQUQJ6Ov9V5PQVv08d7lE931yZFluL7g42W-1gWyk9jUiUs0>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 21:17:10 +0100

"John Machin" <orichalka_at_gXHe7Mnpp-Pu-3S9WiFQ-F_g_E50GqQJMDIsgjJtlXNqUdHM0FqOkyAE63uGlx9AArRI8l_wyiF265s.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Moorcock's (and, originally, Warhammer's) Chaos had a kind of romantic
>tragedy about it. Perhaps this is due to the dualism in Moorcock's
>system?

As I understand it, in Moorcock's multiverse Chaos includes the concepts of Change and Growth. Unbridled Chaos is destructive, but a world with no Chaos at all would be frozen into sterile crystalline perfection for all eternity.

A philosopher from the Young Kingdoms transported to Glorantha would have no hesitation in pronouncing Umath and his sons to be Lords of Chaos, and the victory of Orlanth over Yelm to be a triumph of Chaos over Law. (With the Great Compromise being the last-minute reassertion of the Cosmic Balance.)

Of course, any Orlanthi hearing him say this would be reaching for his axe. :-) (Although a traditionalist Dara Happan would probably be nodding in agreement). Gloranthan Chaos seems to represent purely destructive entropy and corruption, with the positive aspects of change treated as entirely separate entities.

Stephen