How best to learn about God Learners

From: Jamallo Kreen <jamallokreen_at_qwwiyvd5MWEVGhKafvokWnOP0cAUFzqsvN8dfHMn9KEWZ65q2PPCMaGhoT4zz2v>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:42:38 -0000

How best to learn about God Learners

I'm cross-posting this to the Glorantha and HeroQuest groups, because I asked Greg Stafford a question and he suggested that I ask on Yahoo, and you two groups probably contain the best minds able to address my question.

Here's the set-up: I played a PC in a Forgotten realms campaign in which the DM allowed another PC to ascend to demi-godhood. My PC "helped," and determined that he, too, would aim for divinity, but would go about it in a scientific and efficient manner, so he has engaged in many forms of abstruse study. I, the player, bought Mongoose's "Book of the Immortals," but was left fairly confused by much of it. Then, a couple of months ago, I discovered that Old D&D ran up to 36 levels, levels I had never known of for lack of playing Master Rules or buying the Rules Cyclopedia before AD&D. Now I know that D&D long ago passed Level 20 and left "Epic levels" in the dust as characters became Immortals. A couple of weeks ago I started reading about Glorantha and learned that the God Learners ALSO study divinity, but perhaps not for the same reason as my PC. Which leads to the question:

Which book or two (any system, but preferably one available at less than fifty dollars on Amazon or eBay) will teach me most about the God Learners and what and how they are studying (*gods*, apparently)?

I would appreciate it if the members would please give me some input on this question. Thank you.