Re: Lunar Provincial Overseer before Appius Luxius

From: jorganos <joe_at_I5D-YnCBIVtz80rlS-Ub7USWzSIikwOeG_hqqSJzIE8tQOgMey3KkZogeH_aFUtKKGFXYIp2>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:20:59 -0000

>> I can imagine some vicious maneuvering between the Silylan dynasty
>> and the Tarshite dynasty for the privilege. The appointment of
>> Appius may have been a last word by the Red Emperor to silence
>> those two families.

> It had to be someone close to the Red Emperor.

Both dynasties are his descendants.

> Think about this: just
> the Provincial Overseer can call upon the Provincial Army. If the
> Provincial Overseer is someone of Tarsh the Provincial Army could
> rise up against the Lunar Empire.

The same goes for just about any able commander. Quite a few too successful commanders ended up branded as traitors without actively having pursued treason.

> Knowing this, How is it possible that
> Phargentes was Provincial Overseer? The answer I think is Phargentes
> hate so much Palashee and because of that, the Emperor Trust him.

When Phargentes rose to the office, he was an exile in Silyla, and younger brother to the heir of Tarsh.

> Another point that I got in mind is that he should be a clever,
> quick-decision and accurate man. I'm collecting information about
> the armies which fougth at the Battle of Grizzly Peak and those
> ones who rised up against Moirades could have a powerful army.
> It is possible that Moirades needed help quickly and just a
> efficient man could manage the situation properly.

The battle of Grizzly Peak had been slowly building. Moirades was a Lunar master magician, probably had contracted some Lunar College magicians, and the objective to crush the Exile forces holding Bagnot (traditional capital of Tarsh) surely had provided both Provincial and Cavalry Corps forces.

Tarkalor and his Feathered Horse Queen joining the conflict was more or less a given - either behave as the sovereign king of Dragon Pass, or cease profiting from the title. So the Lunar Tarshites knew they were facing a major army.

>> (Which mask, in 1586?)

> Militaris or Reclusus, it depends about the season.

So we have Militaris in control during Grizzly Peak. Maybe the post was vacant, and had direct imperial supervision.