Re: What is the Third Age History of the Sun Dome Temple in Sartar?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_r9TIBGgUgaRMStcQqRqXw-oEwh1BTC-eA8kMAyx61CiGusk_KOtnpiUHFpzsCplyeFyzgxu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 12:20:49 -0700

YGWV ileskela wrote:

> Jeff Richard wrote:
> > Greg and I posted a short history of the Sun Dome Temple in
> > Sartar to the Glorantha.com website:

I believe there is also more information about them in the Heortland book, but my copy is not handy so I can't check.

> > http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a.html
> <http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a.html>
>
> Thanks! This was a nice piece of information and a clarifying read.
>
> Further questions:
>
> 1) What were the Kitori? We now know what they were NOT, but I'm after
> positive descriptions.

Part of the story of the Kitori is they can not be described in absolute terms. It is impossible to focus on them to see what they are, because they always appear to be something and then, afterwards, defy that description.

> For example, if they were Men, but of Darkness,
> how did these Runes/elements manifest in them - in what way was this
> manifestation different from Uz?

Because they could handle iron without being burned, they are not uz. Because they could mingle with the uz, they are not human. Because they can be insubstantial, they are not physical beings. Because they can have bodies, they are not Otherworld entities.

> 2) There's a city called Kitor in Carmania, and a Kitori demon is
> known to have defeated a Praxian army during the Hero Wars. Are these
> somehow connected to the Kitori of Troll Woods, or are the names
> merely coincidence?

I believe (at this point) that there is no connection. It is an accident of language that the words appear to be the same.

I am sure other people will have other opinions, or construct theories and analysis, but to me an important part of the Kitori is that their existence is fluid.
--
    Greg Stafford
    President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,