Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_vuGS4oioe2wgfC1VNoSsmFNmjsAwOp6n2rCs33wKf5DjYQ6y5d4gN_fzSC4N_r6>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

     It's interesting what can happen when one asks a question, isn't it?   I enjoy etymology (and entomology, but that's irrelevant here).  I hadn't seen 'gyrda' in 25 years of Gloranthan reading.  I was reasonably sure what was meant, but I'll freely admit that I haven't the grounding in arcana that others here have.  However, I was editing an article for English usage.  Since I had never seen this word before, I wanted to make sure that the usage was accurate, if this was a RW word adopted for Glorantha.  Hence the original post.
     Since the discussion has taken off using the particular to refer to the general case of jargon in Gloranthan gaming, I agree with both sides.  (Must be the Canadian in me.)  For official publications that are meant to entice other gamers to join in, I would use simple, familiar terms.  Glorantha already has so much detail even in these books that gamers probably need to concentrate on the essentials.
     The Stafford Library material, and, for that matter, many fanzines, can indulge themselves with idiosyncratic terms.  Though, please, give footnotes when using something unusual, so that the readers don't have to strain their poor little brains.

Alison, an editor of very little brain