Re: "Don't mention the gyrda!"

From: donald_at_-x32A9HSd7yytgtpGUR-vtRCcqbmVNh8j7vQ1vTb8e19t0Nxx6nNAFDjot6EgLR483eO_
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:45:34 GMT

In message <4053be670807220455o6c591772u725fed82a67f88bc_at_hIsSF1XQ4rRhp01Q1DIZEaACsrJunpgutD1vS15aEo8lAluwVTCCy0f2KtmJKEjXZFcoKEnskgooKO7Mp0fz0JtD_EpacK-YcnO81rUrXwgHKwZOwNj-jhinffx0YAIRfrCb.yahoo.invalid> "Sam Elliot" writes:

>> I don't even consider it an 80s ghetto. It might be a ghetto of some
>> sort, but I find little that is specifically 80s about it.
>
>No?
>Does "Hyrdy Gyrdy Mushroom Man" not ring any bells? Or is that too
>British a reference?

Well I'm British and the only link I can make is that a 'hurdy gurdy' is slang for a small barrel organ which was pushed around the streets as a form of busking. The operator was known as the 'hurdy gurdy man'. 1880s yes, but long obsolete by the 1980s. It's the sort of prop dragged out for TV scenes to set the period.

The addition of mushroom and your connecting it to the 1980s implies drugs so does it happen to refer to a pop song of the period?

For Glorantha I'd suggest it's something the Mostali might make.

>[What is very eighties about it to me is that in the eighties I was a
>teenager. Everyone around was having existential (excuse my spelling
>if it is wrong, I live in Foreign now) crises like this one.
>Ya-a-a-a-awn]

Err, what existential crisis are we having? I guess I missed out on such things as a teenager in the 1960s. I can see a 1970s influence on Glorantha but that's because it's when a lot was first published.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/