Re: "Don't mention the gyrda!"

From: David Dunham <david_at_uHLqNxSUq1qT-mB2Tkov4JOxf681_4wcW6PEqXhudSJG_DNGRUZNYN-o3GgdMYabDQOInX>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:43:55 -0700

Donald

>Whereupon it becomes a matter of how you deal with that line. When
>I hit it I just switch off and discard that subject as more trouble
>than it's worth and go on to the next.

Here I'll revert to the "someone else's problem," but: I know of people who didn't play an RPG of their favorite comic because they bogged down in the optional rules. So I contend you haven't hit the line yet. When you do, the entire thing becomes unusable because you can't figure out the parts that interest you.

>To me the differences
>between someone who tries to emulate their god, someone who begs
>or coerces spirits to help them and someone who reads spells from
>a book or prays to a saint to interceed on their behalf are
>important and interesting story detail

The different approaches to magic don't require the theoretical background -- what you describe is, well, description. This needs only minimal rules support.

--

David Dunham