Re: "Don't mention the gyrda!"

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_uLVJ-qkn4OeFmNOUHrn7CHtukOHMTOF8efMRqyBVTPxokC2OYE46jgvnk7FPgNTd3pc>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:32:24 -0000

I agree with this.

I've never gotten on board with the plethora of names we have in the new HeroWars and HeroQuest versions of Glorantha. I like pretty much everything else in Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe, but the "Orlanth called himself ***** when doing this" names are a total loss for me.

I would never ask my players to memorise those names, and they don't add anything for me. Mostly I have no idea how to even pronounce them, and even when I do, it's still a meaningless jumble of sounds.

Orlanth, Heler etc. are names I and my players are familiar with. Having half a dozen names for the same god or goddess, is too strange.

Young Orlanth, Orlanth Allfather etc. are good names for the subcults. Easy to remember and they instantly tell one what is meant,

  -Adept

PS. Personally I don't share the pessimism about RPG remaining a genreded "boy's club". About 40% of the people in my gaming circles are women afterall. There are also influental female RPG authors like Rebecca Borgstrom* (or Jenna K. Moran, as I think she's called these days).

*author of Nobilis you luddites :P