Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_w6Y0osal_0MjxJvLKvu6x6IQQpLFtX2KctPM7Zq2Yq_Wy8RysnKyTrH-6Z9UnGkl>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:59:38 +1000

Thanks for the folks who have helped us track down the elusive gyrda/gytha.

For the dedicated or fixated etymologists among you (Hi Alison!) I must report I've been unable to track down my original source book: its not in *the usual place* which in our house means its lost for months or maybe years. :(

it was a collection of essays on the early history of Iceland, examining the thesis that a good number of settlers were Norwegian nobility who had become political exiles. It presented its case using a close study of place names, personal names and Icelandic terms. The author was Icelandic, but I don't have a firm recollection. Einar Palsson perhaps?

I look forward to advice from the experts. :)

Cheers

John

John Hughes
Publications Editor
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research College of Arts and Social Sciences
Hanna Neumann Building #21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 0649
F: +61 2 6125 9730
W: www.anu.edu.au/caepr

CRICOS Provider #00120C

The CAEPR website has a large and growing electronic library of publications available
for free download, including Discussion Papers, Working Papers, Monographs and Topical Issues.