Demons in Glorantha

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_Qp5O_dZ4-9fRhwhaziN0PLgTWX2bi4lw_OND9Vo7XLuY1bTGlR-fKFkDK07CJnomjHH>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:08:36 -0000

I know I've brought this up before, but I still have questions.

I'm mostly wondering about the western wizards/sorcerers viewpoint, but also of the more general situation.

I assume a lot of the creatures called demons are from the underworld, also known as hell (one of them anyway). Even trolls are basically demons, or at least descendants of demons that were driven out of the underworld.

Another obvious(?) source of demons are chaos entities. I'd like more guidelines for these, but at least I have some grip on it.

But what about foreign daemons and spirits? In the spirit of misapplied worship, I suspect a sorcerer can summon up a daemon as an essence. Would the strange result of such a summoning be considered a demon, or a petty pagan godling, and is there a meaningful difference to the wizard?

So if a sorceress manages to summon Gavreninkin (son of Yinkin) as an esssence creature (possibly under a different name), would it manifest as a demon-cat? Would an orlanthi wind daemon appear as an elemental storm demon?

If the above paragraph is wrong, what is the source of elemental demons, or do they not exist at all?

  -Adept