Re: Naively looking for 'Pavic Tales'

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_xZ3zW4jWoihQ1byhbPdV6Q401ZN16gIooMa-YD_VSzXz1kaCw83ekccUg5wekGvhTCW>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:36:35 -0000

> Its a shame that there seem to be so many obstacles in the way. To my
> admittedly uninvolved
> eyes PDF format seems to solve so many problems with print costs etc it
> would be a godsend
> for the pen and paper rpg market. Anyway back to lurking.

It does seem to have worked well for other publishers, even where old magazines have to be scanned in, rather than generating PDFs from he original files. Just as one example, Judges Guild are churning out their back catalogue as scanned PDFs, and, while I obviously don't know their sales figures, I presume they wouldn't have been doing it for so many months now if it wasn't working at all. Other publishers have done the same, too (WotC is selling scanned copies of the old TSR D&D gazetteers, for instance). Somebody, somewhere, is prepared to put up with the relatively low quality of scanned PDFs to obtain the otherwise unobtainable, and that might well work for Tales of the Reaching Moon, etc.

But it won't work for Drastic. Reproducing that can't be done legally without the publisher's permission, which won't be forthcoming.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/