Re: Lunar element's relation to others, especially Storm

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_-tXf3TZvFCkhWKvLeigY344l-0GbXJxTB-yn6ZShZHmHJQmTht_Qcv6NDgw1>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:13:25 +0000 (GMT)

The idea that the Moon Rune is a Condition Rune rather than a true Elemental Rune is at least as old as the introduction to the Runes in 2nd edition RQ.

 Though what does it mean for a Rune to be a Conditon Rune anyway? Is it a way for non-Lunars to describe the strangeness/'otherness' of Lunar magic?

Also, if Moon is not an elemental rune, does this mean that there are Lunars who can be tied to an elemental rune and the Moon rune? Or if you are tied to the Moon rune, are you likely to believe that it is an elemental rune, with the result that you canot be tied to two elemental runes at the same time?

As for the interplay between Moon and Storm, what would the runes of Shargash/Jagrekriand be?

Whilst we are on the subject of borderline elemental runes, what are the status of runes that represent part of an element (first printed in Cults of Terror iirc): Light, Heat, Shadow and Cold.

I can see a role for the former two , to denote gods and cults that have power over light but not fire (like Yelmalio or Dayzatar?) or those that have power over fire rather than light (Lodril, the Lowfires).

I can understand how one might do a similar thing in relation to Darkness -- some gods/cults might emphasise Shadow (the opposite/absence of Light) and others might emphasise Cold (the opposite/absence of Heat), rather than Darkness (which has aspects of both), though off the top of my head I cannot think of examples.

Are there similar sub-runes for aspects of Earth and/or Water?

Also, the Storm rune sometimes used to be called the rune of Air/Storm, iirc. Does that mean that there are/could be analogous Runes of Air without Storm and Storm without Air.  Could, for example, Molanni, or Brastalos be better represented by the former than by the full Air/Storm rune? Likewise, would it be more accurate to depict the most unremittingly violent aspects of the Air/Storm rune (Storm Bull? Vadrus (for what its worth, seeing as he is dead)? Gagarth?) with a Storm Rune that did not also denote Air?

Finally, is there still an Ice rune? (There was many years ago, in Cults of Terror) If so, would it be defined as an Elemental rune, a Form rune or what?

Richard Hayes

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_jpzUTsMobSlS2z6jdveEWzCIhWO8rlyfVdoJzACl5dSVO6zlm_e47jzmo2rNSR4Pk0jrKSWaNsZjV8p0.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: Lunar element's relation to others, especially Storm To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 10 November, 2008, 12:17 AM

2008/11/7 Jeff Richard <richaje_at_JVb0rKmak5IMNID3hbbrGQegel60pqPkb7OSzX1KS2kCeMIwSHnkbu0LHitWAZX9RP5bt2-UMacj16A.yahoo.invalid>:

> However, most Gloranthan philosophers recognize the Moon Rune as a
> Condition Rune, not an Elemental Rune. There is certainly a lot of
> evidence to support that. Some (but not all) Lunar philosophers
> recognize the Moon Run as an Elemental Rune, or an Elemental
> Rune-in-Transition. Others hold that it is trancending Condition Rune.

Interesting! I had not thought about it this way at all and I'm now very intrigued. Ta Jeff.

--
John Machin