Lunar element's relation to others, especially Storm

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_7vFtphD3u102jASYhUGe-hn4KjGxip8WCTzoVrFR95_T1o_mRk2G568zXk8tH6Q4_vn>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:43:04 -0000

Here's another one that the podcast started me thinking about.

[Disclaimer - I love playing with metaphysics, and runnign campaigns where high magic and even philosophy are issues. Some of you may be bored to tears with this]

What is the relationship with the lunar element to the other five?

We know the five elements of Glorantha form a cycle of elemental dominance. Fire > Darkness > Earth > Air > Water > Fire...

We also know that the lunar's have their young elementals, and can command minor manifestations of all except Air. The story says air didn't have time to form before the new elemental generation (devolution?) ended and they were integrated into the world.

The podcast seemed to say that in the HQ2 vision Storm and Moon are mutually exclusive. You can't hold both the Moon and Air runes.

I've assumed that there is no elemental dominance with the lunar power, and that it's neutral with all others, but...

Now I wonder if the situation is such that the conflict between Lunar and Air really is an unresolved case of elemental dominance. Maybe the circle of five Gloranthan elements should really be a cicle o five, and the fight is still going on whether Moon or Air is going to be superior to each other. Thinking about it, it would seem logical that Lunar power would end up dominant over water (tides and all that), but as this is Glorantha it seems the jury is still out.

What do you guys think? Any ideas are appreciated,

  -Adept