Re: An Observation About Yinkin

From: donald_at_sUTonZ7xLns8szjJHiu0F9vXxq6H8K55_BPb0um85Nv_OBwDscDkfwGPvtdVyGAAjSXzV
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:57:03 GMT

In message <9277ad4a0811110941s7dabea0bu39172f9f2a0af98_at_qO9VvbKWySheoICt4L6vKiFpWcu3N36Yov6c27HNZd4rdbplGbOUzRWszm3kX9skyDLi3KgebJeoTxjAsbzm4Cs4yKdt6Fdmy0xrVeHjRHaHk1K__bfLbd79VtjFf0qvU9UgHg.yahoo.invalid> "Greg Stafford" writes:

>In short: retribution doesn't mean that thunderbolts will level the stead
>and the earth itself vomit up the sowed seeds. It is much more subtle. But
>persistant.

This level of retribution I'm comfortable with. A lot is a social effect and it's likely to be missed unless people are specifically looking for it. It's also much less restrictive than the Dara Happen approach.

The concept of downgrading the type of marriage is an interesting one that I hadn't thought of. I'd see it more as a compromise done by agreement rather than happening automatically though.

I'd guess the status of the individual within the clan affects it as well. Adultery by a stickpicker is going to have a lot less effect than that of a member of the ring.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/