RE: Re: The Unholy Trio: Rephrasing the Question

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_vlvXU7wZUbEpmOHQsYZSi0xpzRiX3UDthFJkyOstyfAyMK8i-4prpccRWJKvo5i>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 03:18:05 -0000

Oooh! Quoting D&D on a Glorantha list. Very risqué! :P

Forgive me if I don't remember all the details of your plans but your mention of a famously sympathetic (as aptly defined earlier by Ian) character - Raist (who was also famously redeemed, if memory serves) - suggests to me that your new 'heroes' (using the term from the rulebook and not classically) might follow suit in some way? (of course we can never know what players are going to do - only attempt to guide) They might even reach enlightenment to help them see through the *real* bad guy?

For me, this would represent a departure from the 'lets play the bad guys and *really* destroy the world' vibe that moves more toward some kind of story about something *other* than "how Freddy Kruger got those tender kids"
(contrasted with "how most of the kids died resisting Freddy"). Not merely
'why is poor Freddy like that? Oh! That's why - cool! Lets go on a killing spree for a whole campaign'. Instead one actually involving heroes who have an evil-inspired cause for a
reason-with-which-the-game's-players-can-identify and who undergo trials that reveal something about them (perhaps that selfsame reason) on the journey to a fate that's not pre-determined (the end of the world) but open
(maybe they are redeemed).

Did I derive that just from your mention of Raistin? Well I was clutching at straws. :)

So, to understand what you are looking to do, and thereby be more able to suggest new myths (which I sense you hesitate to concoct without more info from published sources), let me ask: are these two passages the inspiration and spirit of your idea?

Quotes from Ron's Daedalus article, Redeeming Thed Unlike the more powerful gods, she knows that the Devil (moral evil) can be neither embraced nor beaten. That's why the Old World must end. I don't think I can role-play in Glorantha again without knowing that abused, vicious laughter is in the background.

---

We couldn't save her entirely, nor stop the Great Darkness, which was "set"
in the story too deeply. But the characters were heroes who would not let
Thed face her fate alone.

---

Seems at the end of Ron's game the audience might have a different
perspective on the subject of Thed. Is that what you're looking for?

Right. Up too late. Christmas in the morning. Merry Christmas one and all
and a Happy New Year!

Matthew
Pentallion:
And then there's Raistlin, perhaps the worlds favorite bad guy in
all of fantasy literature.