Re:Questions, Comments, suggestions: setting house campaign in Teshnos

From: Keith Nellist <keithnellist_at_4ZGdn9NcvSCMrfH4QyVtPuGrU1J68bVUplAKPlU4RXfTdNjfM4vkW3elhcV3JlY>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:02:02 +1100

Hal Bowman> a) Glorantha Introduction to the Hero Wars has a lot on Teshnos that I really don't like.

I'm of a different opinion. There isn't a hue amount on Teshnos and what there is could easily be interpreted in a way that you would prefer. For example, it states that the peasants are "spiritually unfit to handle wealth. They give the surplus to the priests.". Now, this might be viewed differently by the peasants themselves ("greedy taxing Priests") or by the Priests ("tax those scumbags, they are too foolish for wealth.") or by enlghtened nobles ("the peasants think the priests are greedy, the priests think the peasants would foolishly squander their wealth, but it is all part of the teaching that keeps the land in order."). Or perhaps the nobles are the greediest swindlers of them all but use the Priests to do the dirty work.

Hal> b) I saw mention of Revealed Mythogies as having useful information.

Revealed Mythologies has *some* excellent information. There is nothing (IMO) that you couldn't live without, once you can see that Sechkaul as just a part of Vithela, and some of the land sinking shenanigans of Sshorg.

What I'm looking for is a time well after the dust settles from the end of the God Learners and before Sheng Seleris gets rolling.

Suggestions??

I certainly agree that this is a most interesting time for Eastern adventures. I am personally interested in the same sort of time period for Kralorela, starting with the exiled Heroes living in Ignorance while plotting to destroy the false Dragon Ring. Elements of the Water Margin (rebellious heroes fighting evil empire), Monkey (a journey to the West to recover the solution to their problem), perhaps building a bridge over the river Kuwai Tan Kang, and perhaps some sort of chef rebellion led by priests of Pai Raow.

As far as Teshnos at the same/slightly later period - I'd be interested to learn what went wrong between the Jungle Priests and the Fethlon Elves. Are the Goondas really drunk hooligans, and who is the King of the Swingers, the jungle VIP? Why to Teshnan dwarves make me think of sinister Oompa Loompas with their creepy prayer wheels sapping energy from the whole world? What about the Black Flame and Atyar/Than/Thanatari stuff going on(my favourite chaos cult)? Do those Blue Moon worshipping Gachi really sacrifice humans every 17 days? What goes on at a Solf orgy?

What I believe should really drive what you do with Teshnos depends on the sort of stories you enjoy: a disparate band of weird adventurers seaching for loot - plenty of ruined temples and jungle haunted palaces in Teshnos to explore; a magnificent band of seven warriors defending a village of peasants from mounted raiders from the Western Wastes - plenty of undefended peasant villages in Teshnos; a political game of families, marriages of convenience, cunning priests - lots of princelings and palaces and priests and beautiful princesses in the opulent palaces of Teshnos; a sweeping drama of invasion, battles, war-elephants, barbarian hordes, weird magical flying assassin daggers - plenty of all of these things in Teshnos, especially as Sheng approaches, but why not some other Warlord before him conquering Wokistan or some such. There is plenty of room, I believe, for a High Llama descended noble family in Teshnos, riding around on High Llamas, lording it over the locals, dressing in opulent gear, speaking T eshnan and married to beaufiul locals, but perhaps still worshipping Waha somehow! Devils in Skirts? Plenty of room for Carry On Up the Tiger Pass.

Zitr:                 "May Chal's Teaching Light up your life!"
Godlearner        "And up yours."

Keith
I shall now "Fakir off!"