Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: stu_stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_4etcaFYRN791J6bwsLChQlQxfCDPcSI3WwgtWMlqcqdisdzbEy7EX7UcL8S90>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:25:59 -0000

Lots of discussion on gods/spirits/essences. I don't think anybody's touched upon perhaps the clearest picture of their interaction in Glorantha.

Consider the Ducks.

One of the best descriptions of Duckish religion is reprinted in the 'Sartar High Council' scenario in WYRMS FOOTPRINTS. Joseph Greenface, 'a shaman of great powers' (p. 100), is 'Priest of the River God' (p. 103)--which, as we all know, is The Stream... an essence.

Consider further. In the High Council, Joseph takes the position of Sylph King/Father of Sylphs (p. 98). Sylphs are air elementals (worli), i.e. essences (THE ROOSTER, p. 202). In the PROSOPAEDIA, the Father of Sylphs is listed as a title of Umbrol (p. 18), 'the parent of the Umbroli' (p. 11), which are storm daimones (THE ROOSTER, pp. 196-198). Umbrol is another name for Kolat, the great wind spirit (PROSOPAEDIA, p. 11).

All pretty straightforward. Capisce?