Re: The meaning of "hillbilly"

From: hcarteau_at_PeJsu9KGq6zh0OrySikPAOovSEaBlx5amykch1LUFv7JvRvwHgHoaXP-H5ld1g1UAvD
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:15:27 +0100

Selon Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_MRp1nuVbnB3ty5aK0h7gEltQYxmZHa_H2i783CK9gqpUP8hzHxcQJmNpsaEJJ5QFnHqZAE78YEPg8zUD4BQ.yahoo.invalid>:

> The reference is to "Dukes of Hazzard", a TV show from 1979-85, and made
> into a movie in 2005 with all new cast (because the old cast are...old.)
> The Duke boys drove an orange Dodge Charger named the "Generel Lee", and
> often jumped the car over creeks, dirt piles and the like, where their
> pursuers could not follow (or would crash comically) .
/// OK. I think this show went on french TV some years ago but I never got to watch it.

> Smokey and the Bandit (1977) starred Burt Reynolds as "The Bandit", and
> Jackie Gleason as Sherrif Buford T. Justice.
/// Oh yeah - how could I forget this name !

Law enforcement officers - especially rural sheriffs - are called "Smokey" because they often wear the campaign hat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear_hat) also worn by the US Forest Service and its icon, Smokey Bear
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_bear). (the hat is also iconic of
> US Marine Corps drill instructors, American troops in WW1, the Royal
> Canadian Mounted police, and the boy scouts before they went to baseball
> caps)

/// I am in awe of your knowledge about such things !