Re: The meaning of "hillbilly"

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_-3NJf8tf5bED0W4j1g4slHui6OWSljuN351IE6HVAokKnjX1jxnEWv2ay8hvljymzxNrA>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:07:09 -0800

The reference is to "Dukes of Hazzard", a TV show from 1979-85, and made into a movie in 2005 with all new cast (because the old cast are...old.) The Duke boys drove an orange Dodge Charger named the "Generel Lee", and often jumped the car over creeks, dirt piles and the like, where their pursuers could not follow (or would crash comically) .

Smokey and the Bandit (1977) starred Burt Reynolds as "The Bandit", and Jackie Gleason as Sherrif Buford T. Justice. Law enforcement officers - especially rural sheriffs - are called "Smokey" because they often wear the campaign hat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear_hat) also worn by the US Forest Service and its icon, Smokey Bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_bear). (the hat is also iconic of US Marine Corps drill instructors, American troops in WW1, the Royal Canadian Mounted police, and the boy scouts before they went to baseball caps)

RR