Re: Using affinities to power magical effects v. feats

From: Jeff <richaje_at_nlqsWpHFXDs4tNs_2OHPxoOQaZHXroAJjytUbqcr6tvkNm856K_YF8aBVaGPaevohbeV>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:37:25 -0000

> An example Lhankor Mhy feat involved lying with a leather sheet over one's head and thinking until you gained the knowledge one sought. OK, what would be a lesser (initiate) class magical ability for knowledge?

You might simply use the Truth Rune to try to overcome the obstacle. All feats are basically amped up version of the normal magic, providing big bonuses and having a great comparative advantage over other player's efforts to overcome an obstacle (see Sartar page 82-83). However, most feats are within the normal range of things you can do with a Rune - it is just that a devotee doing something as a feat will be far far more effective than an initiate trying to improvise it.

> Or storm - can I shoot lightning with initiate affinities? How about fly?

If you are an Orlanth initiate, yes. Look at the sample uses of the Air Rune in the Orlanth cult.

Jeff