Re: Bee goddesses?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_DMIKH7TwZeUxRuSY3hvnNKyZH3pJdX6Jf6OoG8K1wABqvi7YLZTBdM1EbdwWn6iPI>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:04:26 -0700

YGWV On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:32 AM, rune.writer <rune.writer_at__AIjF2OEeT4Cinem4rjQFFGCjPaOLQrarGQJQzIGsXXuEqwszxk0gnc3cxpTaKr98U7J0SAR6jan74Zkh3ef.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > YGWV
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Prince B <chrphrgrv_at_...> wrote:
> >
> > > I think you should ignore canon if it says that ALL insects are only
> > > related to the darkness element.
> >

> > Canon says no such thing.
> > I hope it's obvious by now that most or many animals have Otherworld
> vesions of them, and a Glorantha version of Everything, or at least, two
> things.
>
> OTOH, I think any culture that has strong insect/darkness* links would have
> to have specific myths as to why certain insects arenīt linked to darkness.

Possibly so, but not necessarily.
OTOH, the uz (or anyone else) may just consider all insects that are not connected to darkness to be smoethign other than insects. "Insect" is a terrestial grouping term that we use for convenience, but it's not a proper descriptor of the class of 6-legged, exoskeleton darkness creatures.
Gloranthans don't actually hav a category of "insects."* They generally would have no reason to consider bees, dragonflies and butterflies to be darkness creatures.

I imagine that (for human cultures) any substantial history of contact with
> Uz would lead to such a link.
>
> * Uz, obviously, Pelorian, Orlanthi etc. I donīt think Malkioni would
> necessarily make that link, nor Kralori.

It is not an issue of "making the link." The preponderance of darkness in most insects is a fact, not speculation, not projection, not an unfounded classification.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer