Re: Arkat the trickster ?

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_ENbuoSh4TeOgT3dSnifXvA8fUoeMa5hnJZMZ4nBw-HqVxNps4UncqAVT6M-ZZZ>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:06:55 -0700

> As Todd points out, for Humakt to father a child would be to act against
> his

"Death" nature.

/// Yes; that alone voids the notion of Arkat being a true (biological) son
> of

Humakt. I mean the real Humakt, who sacrificied his male spark of life-giver

ablity long ago.

Except that he "proved" that he is the son of Humakt, among some other self-contradictory 'facts' and many other 'facts' about Arkat that contradict each other.

Nysalor's empire was destroyed, but there are certainly as many lingering myths about the contradictory nature of the Bright One. Not only were these two the antithesis of each other, but the understandings of what they each were contradicts from culture to culture and even among myths from one culture. Perhaps we are more interested in examining the history of Arkat the man, but Nysalor the god born within time is nearly as interesting, and as contradictory. Arkat is probably more interesting because he was a MAN, rather than a god, and we can connect to that more easily.

But, of course, his contradictions show that he was far more than a man. And ultimately these contradictions, for each of this damned pair, led to the near destruction of the world. The enlightened power of light (that subverts) and the conquering power of dark (that makes free) were destined to destroy the world individually. But "fortunately" for the world, their destinies also required them to collide, which ended the power of both.

Researching more and more details about Arkat's life actually leads one away from understanding the entirety of this myth, I would suggest. It's the understanding that a bundle of contradictions opposed a bundle of contradictions and the negation of each brings the world back into balance (for a while) that is at the heart of my grasp of this myth.