Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_Y22S6Fbwt71BMoZ75u6srH54noQQUmRItEsuftbAx8u4af9BPSOFQk2YP3-IGOBJ57n>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:25:49 -0400

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM, <hcarteau_at_1VOmP_Hl3Ia92G2Skk0a8vl-SING-WO07tDH4lQ8CWhb-iH-O3pM0KSGstAAYkCCCLdvufqx9A.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> (snip) But what's the Holy Country's major problem?
> /// Inertia. As you beautifully highlighted, traditionalists don't care
> about
> this weirdo's search for harmony. They do their best, overtly or covertly,
> secede from it.

This is a problem generally for Glorantha -- people cling to the Old Ways way beyond what they should, and the people who innovate, more often than not, bring disasters. Which explains the first attitude. It's kind of a vicious cycle, but it can't entirely explain the Holy Land.

The politics of the area are unclear to me, but a good mythic reason is that Belintar has built an empire out of "elemental countries." He finished his conquests, which created what should be a stable mythic structure, but the elemental cycle is not "eternally stable," it's "dynamically stable" (Probably since Umath). Maybe Belintar's problem is too much peace -- he needs a way for energy to pass through the elemental cycle, either allowing each country some kind of dominance in turn or some other way to allow for dynamism, which he hasn't managed. Why not?

His philosophy doesn't allow it.
There is some other mythic constraint against it. He can't create a dynamic system without unbalancing that first, which threatens him?
The rising of the Red Moon screwed up his plans?

Any could be true, I suppose.

Peter Larsen