Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_nVcm6OYpUxAn2ak97BpEnyu2V-e3LLyM6Mlr29XwhHrTGmvPx-nuqw6WSwbmzF39zHM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:41:24 -0400

Sorry for the slow response; it has been a busy week.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Peter Metcalfe < metcalph_at_OzM9QpFtpSmr9cvTGanJf95xOArbBnajy_dTBuPjiYHYIkAQL1XfnSsdjuZ-INdnWl5hSpWCa8ILvKl9bxM8ft-yMhU.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I don't think your Inner Practitioner should aim to become Belintar. If
> anything they would aspire to join the ranks of the Holy Vessels, the 22
> demigods whose bodies have served Belintar. Instead the Inner
> Practitioner would be intent on developing or manifesting their Holy Self.
>
> This is more or less the sort of thing I was thinking of, only I got the
terminology wrong. Any personal worship of Belintar/the Pharaoh should be geared toward making the practitioner a better "vessel." Any cool in-game powers would be a side effect of that more important quest.

> > An outer practitioner would create external effects by evoking
> > the Holy Realm to manifest in Gloranthan Reality.
>
> In terms of external effects, these would be either blessed tools or
> fleeting manifestations, such as an elementals. I don't think people
> are strong enough to make a building by themselves although an organized
> congregation could.
>
> I assume it would be very difficult, being either ephemeral, requiring mass
effort, or taking a hero to accomplish.

I don't think Belintar is incorporating the winner or portion thereof.
> He's far too vast for that. Instead a much worthier target would be the
> Runes. Patterns in the policy of the Holy Country would be based on the
> Runes, for example Dormal's voyages took place when Belintar was
> developing either the Communication Rune or the Sea Rune. Likewise his
> current disappearance could be due to the Death Rune or the Underworld
> Rune.

That's a very interesting idea. So, would the Tournaments be a way for Belintar to gain access to new Runes (or a new perspective on Runes?). I am looking for an angle where the body-swapping is more than just body-swapping. Without a grander design, it just makes Belintar a confidence man. Which would be OK, I guess, but kind of disappointing.

Peter Larsen