Re: Blue Moon Magic

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_jObP5JsmBoQIwqcFsIMADDJkKna9gkdVDRtLZR1uKh2OqleeCay_4ssy-jbK_ibN>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:34:38 -0000

Keith :

> Ok, I wasn't aware of any daily tidal movements, I assumed we just got the sea level rising gradually for 1D6 days as the Blue Moon creeps up the Skydome, then dropping very quickly as soon as the Blue Streak drops down the Pool.
>
> I was not aware that there were Solar effects on the oceans.

Peter's explanations aren't just simple and straightforward, they also represent the actual tidal realities insofar as they have been detailed over the years in various publications and non-publications :)

The daily tidal movements are described therein ; except that instead of tying them in with solar and planetary effects as Peter has done, I would personally link them with the cycle of life and death via the Compromise.

At some times the waters are rising towards the Sky, at others they are plunging towards the depths.

The Flood occurred between the height of Solar power and the death of Yelm, and the reversal of the rivers and the other waters when the Spike was deestroyed, so that I would locate the daily high tide at some time between midday and sunset, the low tide in the darkest hours before the dawn. This would vary both according to the movements of the Blue Moon, and according to the seasons -- with the greatest high tides in Sea Season, the deepest low ones at the onset of Dark Season.

OK -- this happens quite coincidentally to effectively be rather similar to linking it with the variations in the Sun's daily and seasonal movements ; but surely that can be only a complete happenstance !! :D

Julian Lord