Re: Hrestol's knighthood initiation

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_mW4fKCEaHiDd3h3Kgfus1rZqACrUQ35gR60v3QRjrx61f0jWnkgGWL75d5qZJpipsLu>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:22:57 +1300

On 11/2/2010 2:48 PM, David Cake wrote:
> At 9:13 AM +1300 30/10/10, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>> On 10/30/2010 4:10 AM, David Cake wrote:

>> That "the people" worshipped is not the same thing as Froalar worshipping.

> Well, weren't we discussing whether or not the Seshnegi as a
> whole were henotheist at the Dawn?

What I actually said was whether the Seshnegi were henotheist before Hrestol's revelation was an open question. I explained my thinking in another post (summary: "The native faith of the Kachasti and Seshnegi is a mixture of obedience to Zzabur's Laws, a touching faith in Malkion and corrupt practices cuased by centuries of commerce with the natives of Genertela [...]") and Greg went so far as to suggest that any worship may have just been offering gifts.

> Though perhaps paganism had already begun to take hold among
> the lower castes prior to Froalars marriage, as implied by the
> earlier quote? Froalar was perhaps forced to acknowledge a goddess
> whose worship had already begun amongst the lower castes?

It depends on what you mean by worship. I doubt that the Seshnegi actually had anything like god-talkers, worship rituals or initiates before Hrestol's revelation. What they were more likely to have had were charms and minor theistic powers that had been acquired because the world was made of everything (from the God Learner point of view) or corruptions of the soul caused by the Great Darkness (from a more orthodox PoV). The more well to do Seshnegi would refrain from using these magics and if anyone used these powers in front of a Zzaburi, major penance would be handed out.

--Peter Metcalfe