Re: Calendars, Calendars

From: boztakang <danielmc_at_iyzzJYY5GzCdKG7Msk735Iji-ttWh_HmEzxmgdbPr2kMYq9oqNIk1YU3lx7QZGn2BLg>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:26:12 -0000

Herve has captured the Uz outlook on time quite nicely IMO.

> >Uz need not to "count nights". Each Night like primeval Darkness again.
> >Each night holds whole universe. Prattle about "days" and "weeks" meaningless to uz.
>
> Your phrases are fascinating, but still difficult to explain is that:
>
> > Seasons are important : those of Good Eating and Poor Eating.
>
> How do they estimate it, simply by their cycle of appetite :-)?

More by the availability of Food. I suspect that Sacred Time is when Ham Beetles swarm (like rw June Beetles do, if you are familiar with them) which provides a Massive temporary food surplus for most communities, and therefore is a great time for big ceremonies.

Dark Season has the longest nights, and therefore provides the most time for uz to travel safely to larger community ceremonies without risking getting stuck out in the daylight.

I speculate that Fire Season is full of small family and clan-based rituals... the long miserable days huddled close in tight quarters lend themselves to small-group ceremonies and minor ancestor worship - story-telling, and such entertainments.

Time itself is relatively new and alien to Uz. "Measuring" is something the Mostali do, not Uz. So the whole concept a "Calender" is probably wierd foreign magic from a trollish perspective. Conveniently, Hoomenz seem to love that sort of thing, and have made up fancy day and season names to help remind them what happens when. Why build what you can just use? So, it makes perfect sense to me that Uz would use a human calender when they find a need for such nonsense - which isn't really all that often, probably.