Re: There is only one God, et al

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_tZClxufU5X6AUqJUG0FJjhixIQkuDz3DaZpiiLZq8-9Ee5Pk21Jz0vxS2GllRFWdCc0>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:47:00 -0500

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_e1vHHjNnPGEhc3yHTAl_gaea1xParXAFmgD77oxrX0rO03TWbPE0GqLDdDw9wjIirmH81RjZMQLosh6sWOkpIcy_.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> <snip>

During the Flood, I believe the Malkioni
> tribes have become well-rounded due to centuries of intermarriage and
> cultural exchanges with each other. Thus the Kachasti would have had
> builders and calligraphers and the like. They still had an edge in
> speaking magic but used whatever magic was available.

I agree

> Sailing to northern Peloria past Ernadela (where the Vingkotling live),
> Helerela or the Kachasti Coast is a bit too implausible as an Artmali
> conquest or even migration for me. I prefer to see the Blue People as
> being related to the Waertagi and or the Banthites.

Although the Artmali were blue skinned that isn't my main reason for suggesting them. In fact I don't see evidence that Yargan and his original followers were blue skinned at all. Entekosiad just said Yargan "arrived on a great barge rowed by fierce, muscled warriors." They conquered the native blue skinned people who were ruling Oroninela/Pelanda.

The clue that pointed me to the Artmali was that "Yargan bore the Blue Spear, a magical weapon given to him by his father. It had come from a corner of the sky." Tenuous? Definitely. It fits with the Aquamarine Armada myth, though, which was enough for me to run with in my game. The Blue Spear/corner of the sky quote pointed me at the Artmali because they have both sky and water connections and started out down near the SE corner of Glorantha. Reading more of their history lead me to the AA story which sealed the deal for me.

I have so far not heard an alternative theory that fits better or is more entertaining (IMHO). The Waertagi do fit because they were closer and would be favorably disposed to logicians. It has problems in that they didn't tend to conquer and rule land folk much except to build ports, whereas the AA were wandering conquerors. Was it a long way? Yep. The Artmali were a seafaring power active during the Flood, though, which to me means their travelling powers were in full bloom. It isn't implausible to me that they made it as far as Oroninela.

-Kevin McD