Re: What does death by "natural causes" look like in Glorantha?

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_z_5-1yTfYs3PpacKsiAugd3-Oa03miMN3711HAv68RhFtr-4vKzLA7jhMiTHNJL>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:14:58 -0500

Everyone is born to die. That is the line that divides mortals from gods. Regardless of of what you do to keep the body healthy, you will die. I'm not sure how it would look, but I guess it would be like extreme old age here on Earth, if only because that is usually my default if nothing better presents itself.

For an Orlanthi, I'd describe this as his breaths weakening to the point where his body cannot continue to operate. A body still moving without any breaths in it would be a zombie, and that isn't what you're after. Life is a binding of something in the mortal world with something else, and if that link weakens, then life goes away.

As others have said, some cultures can produce immortals, apparently through the stasis rune (Britini, Mostali, etc). My guess is that they are still very much mortal, but with stasis they've slowed things way down.

BTW: Your resident CA super-healer isn't going to change something as fundamental as this. There are myths about bringing folks from the dead (resurrection) but that is after the death already has happened. I guess there could be some localized myths for this, but clearly it isn't common place.

Maybe this body/soul connection is a blind spot for CA. She became a lightbringer to learn how to put souls back in bodies. Maybe she hasn't yet learned how to strengthen souls. Her focus is on the body, and perhaps the mind.

Or even worse, there are myths for this, and CA prohibits her followers from keeping souls healthy and in bodies. Mortality is part of the Cosmic Compromise, and a Lightbringer like CA doesn't want to increase the chaos in the world. It is tempting, but at some point helping an individual at the expense of hurting the world is a bad thing. I think the Doaist in China have recently come down against using endangered species in traditional healing techniques with a similar justification.  Not that CA is into yin and yang or anything.