Re: [Art Links] Where in Glorantha is this?

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_-BJ8Ku2EJ3waE6ikyq6wMRNcBj20EomAi4rRZzArXd2X6gcWdj40jAhpvw3t>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:49:25 +0000 (GMT)

I vaguely recall making a posting some months ago, suggesting that actually there was a lot about the Orlanthi, especially in Sartar, that was at least as Kievan Rus as it was Nordic (or Celtic?):

Orlanth is more like Perun than either Odin or Thor; There is a strong analogy between Perun's struggles with a water-dragon (whose name escapes me) and the myth of Orlanth and Aroka The idea of cities and roads and trade routes which set Sartar apart from other Orlanthi nations were not unlike the early days of the Rus I visualised the Sartarite cities as looking rather like the pictures of old Kiev on low denomination Ukrainian banknotes (and I wondered whether anyone else did); and That Rurik (the sample character given in RQ II back in the late 1970s) shared his name with one of the early princes of the Kievan Rus

The main response I got, iirc, was that at least when it came to artwork it was Tarsh rather than Sartar which had made the strongest nod in the direction of the Kievan Rus.
So maybe it is more of an Alakoring thing than a Heortling one? I for one could live with that. Tarsh has cities too, and FWIW maybe the evolution (if we can use that word here) of the Tarshite cities is a better analogy anyway.
That said the Janube river and its flamboyantly moustachioed boatmen offers a further echo of something Slavic a long way west of Tarsh.
Whilst the 'Janube' obviously echoes the RW Danube (whose delta straddles the Romanian-Ukrainian border and goes into the sea on the Ukrainian side ), the 'tone' of this region is maybe more like the banks of rivers further east that cross southern Russia and/or Ukraine, like the Dniepr or the Volga.
As for the Russian-Ukrainian thing, the language of the Russian Orthodox Church tells you that the early days of the Kievan Rus predates any division between Russian and Ukrainian (and pre-Christian Russia/Ukraine predates this notion to an even greater extent). Come to think of it, the very name 'Kievan Rus' is a further clue in this regard
Richard Hayes (whose baptismal name is Vladimir)
PS: I used to quite like the unoffiical idea from some of the mid-1990s fanzines that the Loskalmi were more like Teutonic knights (though MGDV and, having never adventured or told stories in the Far West, there was something a bit Teutonic about my Muse Roost as well).
That said I suspect that this analgoy is all rather passe now.