Re: So what's SOLACE to a rokari ?

From: David Cake <dave_at_qNobwM0CNYhNddEONqJHgqtxTAb43Vgzrdr_awP5FltmPp9LsgoJo357tNpC8vVbNgH6THP>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:40:20 +0800

At 7:40 PM +0000 20/1/11, Jeff wrote, replying to Nick:
> > Ah. So, craftsman associations would have understanding tied to
>their practical efforts, but this would likely be 'merely' practical
>knowledge. In other words, some sort of knowledge of Solace for
>Dronari that is not for Zzaburi is not likely, because in most forms
>of Malkionism, deep cosmological/theological understandings is
>precisely the job description of the Wizardly caste? If a Malkioni
>sect allowed for castes to "know Solace and Joy" differently, it
>would imply an incredibly weak Zzaburi caste within that society.
>
>Which certainly exist(ed) within some Hrestoli communities. However,
>pretty much all Abiding Book Malkionism rejects that.

        And for the Loskalmi Hrestoli church, it is now kind of irrelevant - knights have access to the secrets of all the castes.

> > If I'm reading you correctly, Dronari, Talari, & Horali would all
>have specialized knowledge (of which spells would be only one form)
>that relate to their caste activities which are not known
>necessarily by Zzaburi. What the Zzaburi have that others do not
>would be deep mysteries. They're the theologians with a more
>elaborated cosmological understanding that goes well beyond
>'practicality.' I'm thinking about this in terms of professionalism
>and who gets to control what forms of expert knowledge. The Zzaburi
>are the only ones allowed to practice theology/ministry just as you
>need certification to be a practicing lawyer or doctor.
>
>Yes, this is exactly so. Or at least has been since the Second Age.

        I think it likely that some Dronari artisan associations claim that they retain some of the knowledge of the Kadeniti, while the Zzaburi are restricted to the knowledge known to the Enrovalini. They may even claim knowledge of spiritual wisdom through this channel.

        This leads me to think of a sort of Glorantha analogue of the Freemasons, claiming to know spiritual secrets from the dawn of time expressed through the the symbolism of the building craft.

        Of course, it is not necessary for their claims to be provably true for the organisations to exist, any more than todays Freemasons can show a clear lineage to the workers on Solomons Temple.

        There may exist similar Talar organisations that claim to know Kachasti secrets unknown to the Zzaburi - and in Ralios, they might even by correct.

	Cheers
		David