Re: About Brithini agelessness

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_BmdvERDzyfOSAYv6igmCCZkhefzT1blorfVKRKXWmwh2xbgK9pu19ri2wv9mRVRU>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 10:07:27 -0800 (PST)

I've always viewed Brithini and Mostali agelessness as arising because they live lives so closely in conformity with their philosophies that their actions become ritual action. So, effectively, they are continually casting an immortality spell. This would also explain why, IMG, a Brithinos* or Mostalus* who departs the proper paths begins to age immediately. They have stopped casting the "immortaility ritual" spell. I'm sure they don't think about it that way, so course. Their way is the natural and proper way of living. Aging is just another sign of degeneration.

I think practically all cultures have similar sets of nearly automatic, unthinking action that has magical effect, but the Brithini and Mostali are unusual in that theirs prevent aging. For example, the Praxians have lots of little things that they do; when Praxians discard certain types of food, they drop it near a prairie dog hole to keep their beasts hooves from dropping into holes. This is magically effective, but kind of insignificant compared to not aging.

Chris

CL