About Brithini agelessness

From: hcarteau_at_9ueuDH3uNXQidQ95mZtuz8C83bX6mPSKaKib5cOJQGzr7xoE0JQVBLGJz-obltwBI5g
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 10:41:38 +0100

Jeff has said several times the brithini are not immortal, they do bleed and die when cut, then can get sick etc. "They simply do not age". Other inspired minds have wondered how does that work, but their request was lost. I would like to present it again.

Is brithin agelessness a "racial", "natural" state of things, or is it the product of sorcery ? Do the zzaburi "bless" their people every generation / full moon / whatever to renew the spell of agelessness ?

If yes, it's probably very costly magics. Perhaps most of brithini resources are spent towards that aim, perhaps they tap Britha, the local land goddess, to achieve their aim, who knows. Does any care to comment how it's done ?

The advantage of regular sorcerous renewal makes it easier to explain why brithin who leave (Froalar, etc.) do begin to age : they are NOT included anymore in the agelessness rituals. It's a perfectly Logical explanation, not some vague "natural trait" changing.

Finally, perhaps this ritual does alleviate what I see as the main brithini problem : boredom. It makes brithini content doing the same things forever. Sometimes this aspect of the ritual fails for some of them, they grow restless, depressive and end up leaving the island.

What do you all think ?