Miniatures to suggest what Malkioni look like (was Re: What do 2nd Age Seshnelans look like?)

From: Continuum <Continuum2008_at_uJxuJ6PZdVrsRBeuwf0Sbfo6yFjxxVQ4c9KWZ-gZRaY5dTTBwOte9EgBGtfYfW>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:12:48 -0000

Jeff wrote:
> > So what are the Orlanthi of Ralios like?
> > I am currently running a game in Saug set in the 2nd Age and drawing the characters.
>
> Second Age? And do you mean culturally or appearance-wise? And where? Keep in mind there's a lot of Orlanthi there, with a lot of different influences.

Both really.

Here is what I have written for my game.

"The Orlanthi of Saug are a pragmatic people who worship Orlanth and Ernalda and revere their ancestors. Due to the proximity of the large, wild woodland of Wonderwood, Odayla is considered Orlanth's brother and companion by the hunters of Saug replacing Yinkin's role as considered by other Orlanthi. Urox is prevalent with the northern clans and is readily accepted by all.

Elmali are quite common throughout the clans though they do not take a leadership role and due to the Walkers Curse they distain horsemanship out of respect. The rest of the Storm Tribe makes up a small proportion of the worship though Yinkin, Heler, Issaries and Vinga are very rare.

The Saug Orlanthi are organised into tight-knit clans consisting of just three or four bloodlines that trace their ancestry back to before the dawn. They are patrilocal, the new wife lives with her husband's clan and there are many complicated clan relationships to ensure brides move to clan to clan. Clan is everything to them and is considered more important than religious association. The family nature of the clans means they are governed by the head couple, the chief and his wife with the assistance of one or two key advisors. They avoid the formal ring structure as they feel this promotes the power of the priests. They abhor any tribal organisation or calls for unity whether undertaken by priests or kings; clan chiefs have the final authority in Saug."

"A generous man is either a Clan Chieftain or a fool!" – a popular Saug saying.

I went for each clan having a royal couple instead of a formal clan ring as I will be dealing with inter-clan politics and I wanted to keep the number of participants down to help the players keep track.

Cheers,
Darran

Con-Quest Midlands 2011. Derby Assembly Rooms, Derby, UK. Saturday 30th April 2011.
http://www.con-quest.co.uk

Continuum 2012. John Foster Hall, Leicester University. UK. Friday 20th - Monday 23rd July 2012.
http://www.continuum.uk.net

'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/