Re: Some lively Gloranthan discussions on RPG.net

From: donald_at_yTaDl3eIxtOHeTb3UdJSK8WHPnP2GxsrVZUB0sDjasGAhN53rW1ZUQ9btFnKakx4o4B38
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:56:07 -0000

> I did think that Red Emperor (possibly) slain by Harsaltar (A disciple of Humakt and son
> if the Sartarite King) would be a good fit for the Lightbringer Myth (when Orlanth, King of
> the Storm tribe goes to restore the Emperor he killed with Death, the power of his Brother, Humakt)
>
> But if the Emperor is immortal, then he can't be in the underworld for a LBQ to rescue...

Canon is that the Lunars believe the Emperor is immortal. In a world where beings are imprisoned in various underworlds and hells for centuries I'm not sure quite what mortality means in the context of heros.

> Of course since this would be in a non-canonical Glorantha to start with, you could take
> the view that Harsaltar, with the power of Humakt and the Household of Death , as well
> as the transformative powers of Sartar's bloodline does bring True Death to the Immortal
> Red Emperor, just as Orlanth did to the (immortal) Yelm, and the subsequent masks are
> no more Takenegi than the Dara Happan Emperors were Yelm. A LBQ that restored
> Takenegi and caused a mutual acceptance of the right of the Lunar Empire and the
> Kingdom of Sartar to co-exist would end their struggle and allow them to co-operate to
> deal with mutual problems that threaten to end the world (Sheng, Kingdom of War,
> Monster Empire, Ralzakark, Harrek) and are filling the role of the Devil in this Quest

I think reconciling Sun and Storm is beyond even the LBQ. A truce to deal with mutual enemies is certainly possible though.

--
Donald Oddy