Re: A question about Justice - Western Style - in Fay Jee

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_kfz5daxY7K7O-sIa8IOe02qsC7WJgwzOA0GmPD9FnPAuMLkV--QdcEV-_cC8FIPIFac>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:24:00 +1300

On 3/26/2011 3:47 AM, donald_at_t1Koj_N7dBgJT-kM931H3vkhsgvpdoUWQr7VT-yX7BGqYqDk4NjhlOdBay4-rycpC6PgpY16NdGgLTG-8pE.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Why murder him? I think she'd have him put on trial with the PC who dumped the problem in
> her lap as the judge and a heavy hint about the expected outcome.
Why bother with a trial? In the Good Old Days, they had the elders or the senate to declare the accused an enemy of the people or a traitor without bothering to listen to any old defense. It was also a good way to find out who might be sympathetic to Stepan (ie the people stupid enough to vote against the attainder) with an eye to neutralizing them later.

--Peter Metcalfe