Re: Votnakiland [Re: Okapi]

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_5UUnPJkjQxkr4PeleA8cRv6oo5BaoIAQWl9_yyAj5UuLJdPvSknLDb5w60MGP4JJzWq>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:04:30 +0000

bachelornewtling wrote:

> How did other folk populate their Elder Wilds and Votankiland

Griffin Mountain lists wild cattle, giant sables, impala, eubuck, barking deer, red sables, northern bison, bears, sakkar, crocodiles, and wolves - in addition to dinosaurs, griffins, and so on. Given the number of domesticated pigs, I'd have thought that wild boar, or something similar, would also be plausible.

Obviously, there's some question as to what some of these creatures are. Giant sables and northern bison are reasonably close to the Praxian animals, but larger and shaggier, respectively. Red sables are presumably the same as Earth's roan antelopes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roan_Antelope). The bears aren't specified, but personally, I'd make them black, since the brown sort would prefer more northern climes - of course, they could also be something with no exact modern Earth parallel. I might make the wolves red, rather than grey, for the variety, but maybe not.

Barking deer and eubuck are, from the descriptions, probably intended to be unique to Glorantha. Barking deer are described as similar to white-tailed deer or "harts" (by which they presumably mean red deer), except for a mottled coat and barking call. Obviously, red deer are quite a bit larger than white-tail, so take that as you will; it's probably meant to refer to the general shape of the body and antlers. The eubuck is described as a very large antelope with straight, spiral antlers, which suggests that it looks something like an eland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurotragus) or greater kudu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Kudu).

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/