Re: Safelster Q&A

From: Jeff <richaje_at_g7KWgLKR5xAsFr1vluEKz_P9df6SwcBNQJtU1bZPdpTgEP7Sg5jXEJUVzPdQvne6X7h2>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 05:54:18 -0000

> /// Of course. Some demographics for the safelstran cities would be nice. Also,
> do tell us how much malkionism influences Safelster these days, and in which
> form (no need to talk about the backwood pagans "whose lifestyle is barely
> living at all"). Finally, do tell when Arkat is coming back and in what form, so
> we can all greet Him properly !

All good questions! I'm working on a more extensive answer, but some quick comments on the first two:

  1. Safelster is one of the most urbanized places in all of Genertela, with the highest density of large cities outside of Kralorela (which I haven't gotten to yet). Unlike in Dara Happa or Esrolia (which are the other extremely urbanized areas), Safelster has no predominant city or even small group of cities. This is either because of Safelster's political disunion or the cause of said disunion.

This has quite a lot of implications for social structure in Safelster (most Safelstran cities do not have the Brithini caste system) which can be divided into three groups: rich people in the cities (nobles, important priests, rich merchants), not-rich people in the cities (crafters, merchants, minor priests, workers, laborers, beggers, etc), peasants. Urban disorder is a common problem through Safelster - riots, uprisings, inter-cult violence, coup d'etats, and so on.

2. Most Safelstrans are Henotheists. Henotheism combines sacrifices to divine entities with veneration of the Invisible God and is one of the most widespread beliefs in Safelster. These practices are generally associated with Arkat (so much so that it has long been called the Stygian Heresy by orthodox Malkioni), although elements of henotheism predates Arkat's arrival in Safelster.

Henotheists believe that other gods are manifestations of the Invisible God, and that they deserve worship for their aid and protection. Questions regarding nature of the Invisible God, what gods are worthy of worship, and how the gods are to be worshiped are debated by the various henotheist schools and sects. Some henotheist sects combine sacrifice to the local Orlanthi pantheon with philosophical henotheism; others venerate the gods as intelligible manifestations of the powers and forms created by the Invisible God.

The Borists, Galvosti, and other Malkioni heresies should be seen within the context of Henotheism. Some reject divine sacrifices but hold heretical views of the Invisible God; others tolerate divine sacrifices and hold heretical views of the Invisible God. There's heresies we've never even named and plenty of room in Safelster for "your heresy".

The only main organized rival to Henotheism is Rokarism, which rejects divine sacrifice and venerates the Invisible God alone. Ironically, Rokarism and its caste structure is quite popular with the poor and the peasants in many cities; the Rokari at least value their lower orders giving them their own castes and their own rights. However, few city rulers are Rokari (although Rokari communities can be found in every city).

A LOT of Safelstrans ignore the philosophical trappings of Henotheism and worship gods and spirits without reference to the Invisible God. Many of these cults function as secret societies, holding ceremonies apart from the rest of the community.

Finally, Arkat. Arkat is everywhere in Safelster. Every city has its Arkat cults; usually two or more Arkat cults with mutually inconsistent claims. Some hold Arkat to be a god and offer him divine sacrifices; others venerate him as a Teacher; others contemplate him and seek release from the sufferings of the world; and still others propitiate him as a Devil. In some cities, one (and sometimes more!) Arkat cult enjoys the patronage of the city itself.

Jeff