Re: History and Time in the West

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_cOxcWNere2Nvfjq9ynEph6-cMfiewihIa1x_HKRxL8w68dm-c665871XVVhxL1BfU_N>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:36:09 +1200

On 4/10/2011 2:41 AM, Stephen Tempest wrote:
> Is there a reason why this system has to be "Orlanthi" in particular?
> As far as I understand it the Dawn, the birth of linear Time, and the
> final separation of the Middle World from the God Planes wasn't a
> local event that only affected people in the Theyalan highlands. It
> was a *worldwide* paradigm shift of universal significance.
It's one used by Orlanthi Sages (and the God Learners) but most Orlanthi wouldn't use it preferring to date the events by a more recent event (such as the founding of Sartar).

As for its universality, that's a different story.

The year in Vithela is currently 2621 (or something like that) dating back to the start of the Human Cycle. They are pretty convinced that the Sun was shining throughout all this time and that the western barbarians were just plain stupid.

When the World Council was sending Lightbringer Missionaries to Talastar and other places, they were literally bringing the light. North of their lands, Dara Happa had been shining under the light of Kargzant for over three centuries before the Dawn.

--Peter Metcalfe